Neapolitan pizza is a traditional Italian dish that has been enjoyed for centuries. The pizza’s popularity has spread worldwide, with its crispy crust, delicious tomato sauce, and flavorful toppings. One of the critical elements of the perfect Neapolitan pizza is its dough. Choosing the right amount of dough for your Neapolitan pizza is essential as it affects the texture, flavor, and overall taste of your pizza. But how much dough do you need for a 12 inch Neapolitan pizza? In this article, we’ll take an in-depth look at how to measure and prepare your dough for a delicious Neapolitan pizza. So let’s get started on making that perfect 12 inch Neapolitan pizza!
Understanding the Pizza Dough Formula
Pizza dough is typically made with flour, water, yeast, and salt. The flour’s protein content and water ratio determine the dough’s elasticity, flavor, and texture. To determine how much dough you need for a 12-inch Neapolitan pizza, you first need to understand the pizza dough formula.
The pizza dough formula is as follows:
- Flour: 100%
- Water: 63%
- Yeast: 1%
- Salt: 2%
- Oil: 1%
Using this formula, you can calculate the amount of dough you need for your 12-inch pizza.
Calculating “How Much Dough Do You Need for a 12 Inch Neapolitan Pizza?”
To calculate the amount of dough you need for a 12-inch Neapolitan pizza, you’ll need to know your pizza dough ball weight. The standard weight for a 12 inch pizza dough ball is 8.4 ounces.
To calculate the amount of flour you need, multiply 8.4 ounces by 100%, which equals 8.4 ounces. For the water, multiply 8.4 ounces by 63%, which equals 5.292 ounces. For the yeast, multiply 8.4 ounces by 1%, which equals 0.084 ounces. For the salt, multiply 8.4 ounces by 2%, which equals 0.168 ounces. Finally, for the oil, multiply 8.4 ounces by 1%, which equals 0.084 ounces.
When making your dough, it’s essential to measure your ingredients carefully to ensure your pizza dough is the right consistency.
How to Make the Neapolitan Pizza Dough
To make Neapolitan pizza dough, you will need the following ingredients:
- 500 grams (about 4 cups) of “00” flour or all-purpose flour
- 325 milliliters (about 1 1/3 cups) of warm water
- 10 grams (about 2 teaspoons) of salt
- 3 grams (about 1 teaspoon) of active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon of sugar (optional)
Here’s a step-by-step guide to making Neapolitan pizza dough:
- In a small bowl, dissolve the yeast and sugar in warm water. Let it sit for about 5 minutes until it becomes frothy. This step is optional but can help activate the yeast faster.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour and salt. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture.
- Pour the yeast mixture into the well you created in the flour. Gradually incorporate the flour into the water, mixing with your hands or a wooden spoon. Continue mixing until a dough starts to form.
- Transfer the dough onto a floured surface and knead it for about 10-15 minutes until it becomes smooth and elastic. You may need to add a little extra flour if the dough is too sticky.
- Shape the dough into a ball and place it in a lightly oiled bowl. Cover the bowl with a kitchen towel or plastic wrap and let it rise in a warm place for about 1.5 to 2 hours, or until the dough has doubled in size. The rising time may vary depending on the temperature and humidity of your environment.
- Once the dough has risen, gently punch it down to release any air bubbles that may have formed. Divide the dough into individual portions, usually around 200-250 grams each, and shape them into balls.
- Place the dough balls on a lightly floured surface, cover them with a kitchen towel, and let them rest for an additional 30 minutes to 1 hour. This allows the gluten to relax and makes the dough easier to stretch.
After the dough has rested, it’s ready to be stretched and topped with your favorite Neapolitan pizza ingredients. Remember to preheat your oven to the highest temperature possible (usually around 500-550°F or 260-290°C) and use a pizza stone or a baking sheet to achieve a crispy crust. Bake the pizzas for about 8-10 minutes or until the crust is golden and the toppings are cooked to your liking.
Enjoy your homemade Neapolitan pizza!
Tips for Making the Perfect Neapolitan Pizza Dough
Now that you know how much dough you need for your 12-inch Neapolitan pizza let’s go over some tips for making the perfect pizza dough.
Alternative Dough Recipes
While the traditional Neapolitan pizza dough recipe is delicious, there are several alternative dough recipes you can try. Here are a few:
Topping Your Neapolitan Pizza
Once you have your dough ready, it’s time to top your pizza. Neapolitan pizza is typically topped with fresh tomato sauce, mozzarella cheese, and fresh basil. Here are a few other topping ideas to try:
Cooking Your Neapolitan Pizza
To cook your Neapolitan pizza, you’ll need a pizza stone or a pizza oven. Here’s how to do it:
- Preheat your oven or pizza oven to 500 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place your pizza stone or pizza pan in the oven to preheat.
- Dust your work surface with flour and stretch your dough into a 12-inch circle.
- Place the dough on a pizza peel or a flat surface dusted with cornmeal.
- Spread tomato sauce over the dough, leaving a ½-inch border around the edges.
- Add your desired toppings.
- Carefully slide the pizza onto the preheated pizza stone or pizza pan.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or until the crust is golden brown and the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for a few minutes before slicing and serving.
Storing Leftover Dough
If you have leftover dough, you can store it in the refrigerator or freezer. Here’s how:
- Wrap the dough tightly in plastic wrap.
- Place the wrapped dough in a plastic bag.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- When ready to use, let the dough come to room temperature before rolling and stretching.
Frequently Asked Questions
Making Neapolitan pizza dough requires precision and attention to detail, but the effort is worth it for the delicious results. By following the pizza dough formula and using the right techniques, you can make the perfect pizza dough for your 12-inch Neapolitan pizza. Remember to use high-quality ingredients and experiment with different toppings to find your favorite combination. With a hot oven and some patience, you’ll be enjoying homemade Neapolitan pizza in no time.